Sunday, October 4, 2015

Are You Doing Your Part?




Racism has been a heavy topic in America for at least the past four or five years. I will be the first to admit that I am Pro Black. Wait let me finish. Being Pro Black does not mean I am a racist. It’s just that every time I turn on the radio or get on social media an unarmed person of color has been shot dead by police. The majority of these victims are males. The media then attacks the victims by pointing out every flaw in their life as if the flaws justify their death. White people post racist posts demeaning the situation and tell us to get over it. Black people post status pointing out the Black on Black crime as if justifying these deaths by police. I was literally commenting to my American brothers and sisters daily trying shed light that nothing you say justifies the deaths of Black people being killed by police for these petty crimes or no crimes at all. I had to take a step back and limit all social media because my heart was becoming too heavy. It hurts to be living in a country divided by race. I went home to Arkansas over the weekend and noticed at least fifteen homes with new rebel flags all over their yards. I am from a very small town so this is a lot. While I am home I see that nothing has changed in the Black communities and we’re still fighting each other and bringing each other down. At this point, I am lost but I won’t give up on my people or my country. All I can do is my part and stand on my ancestors’ backs letting them know that their fighting for us to have education and voting rights was not in vain. This is possibly to be continued…..

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Mercedes! I understand what you're saying. And I absolutely think there is targeting that goes on in our society. As a feminist, I feel the same way when it comes to women's rights and the stereotyping when it comes to what women can and can't do. Of course, I realize that you are talking about crime and the killing of people, but I just mean that there is most definitely bigotry in this world. My new granddaughter is part Mexican and part Korean. Her father is 1/2 Mexican and 1/2 Korean. The baby has more Asian features than anything. I'm already VERY defensive and protective of her!
    Dr. G

    ReplyDelete